Choosing a final resting place
When you choose to have a funeral or memorial service at West Herts Crematorium, we will ask you what you would like to happen with the cremated remains. Responsibility for this decision lies with the person who signs for the cremation to take place, although we do advise that this decision should often be shared with family and close friends.
We would like to assure you that there is no rush to choose
We aim to give families time to make the right decision, and so upon receiving instructions, we will gladly hold remains for up to one month at no charge. If we have not received any instructions after one month, we will write to you and request instructions by a certain date.
We will always abide by your wishes but, if no instructions are received, then the remains will be placed within appropriate grounds of the crematorium after the specified date.
The staff at West Herts Crematorium will never try to push you into a decision. We understand that families and friends sometimes need extra time to consider and, if you require longer, we are able to look after the remains for a further period of three months for a nominal fee.
To avoid confusion, we would like to advise you that we are unable to bury cremated remains within the Gardens of Remembrance. Also, commemorative plaques are not sited at specific strewing locations, although we will do our best to meet your requests.
Whatever you decide, West Herts Crematorium will be pleased to help you select an appropriate inscription in the Book of Remembrance or a dedicated memorial within the crematorium grounds, if you wish.
Once you have decided on a final resting place for your loved one’s remains, we will do everything possible to assist you
- You may wish to take the remains from the crematorium. In this case, we will make sure the remains are in an appropriate repository and that everything will be available on the day you wish to collect them.
- If you decide to leave your loved one at rest in the crematorium, we will scatter the remains within the Woodland Section on unmarked grass within the Gardens of Remembrance early in the morning exactly two weeks after the funeral service has taken place.
- You can choose to scatter the remains within the Gardens of Remembrance (on unmarked grass), as near as possible to a dedicated memorial.
- If it is your wish, we will scatter the cremated remains on your behalf (we will need these instructions in writing).
- You can also choose to be present on this occasion by arranging an appointment with our staff.